We have been working hard to advocate for improvements to the home care aide certification process to ensure that this process is fair, understandable, and meets the needs of a diverse worker and client population.
DOH has already made many positive changes:
- A simplified application form.
- Extending the deadline for filing from 3 to 14 days.
- Removing the requirement to submit a training certificate when scheduling a test.
- Translating testing materials on website.
- Hiring 2 navigators to help workers get information on the certification processes
However, there still need to be additional improvements to make sure the certification process is fair and accessible to all home care aides:
- Additional testing locations across the state
- Monthly tests at each testing site, to ensure that home care aides can get through the process in the 150 day timeframe.
- Verification of the translation of all materials to ensure accuracy and fairness for home care aides.
We’re hearing that additional improvements may be needed. For example, we continue to advocate for DOH to add testing locations across the state, complete a verification of the accuracy of the translation of all materials, and increasing the number of languages that the test is offered in. Send DOH an Email to let them know about your experience and ideas for improvements!